With the new year upon us, I decided to take some time and write out a few goals for 2018. I’m not typically one for resolutions, as I don’t think you need to wait for a fresh year to start changing bad habits. But there is something about the cyclical nature of time that makes it easier to start something on January 1st.
So in that vein, I’ve set some goals for myself over the next 365 days. I’ve broken them down in to three sections; mind, body, and creativity. These are the pillars of my life right now, so it makes sense to classify my goals in these terms.
I’m going to take some time to think through this list and will likely add to it during the first few weeks of the year. These are the things that came to mind first, so without further ado…
- Asleep by 12:30am every day
- Awake by 8am every day
- Read 3 books of fiction
- Read 3 books of non-fiction
- Meditate at least 10 minutes per day
- Work outside of the house at least 2 days a week
- Take “quiet showers” so that there’s time to think instead of listening to podcasts
- Lose 30 lbs. (lofty, I know)
- Branch out and run different paths two times a week
- Train for and run in a 5K
- Build a prototype for the app/product idea I’ve been toying with
- Write one blog post per week on this blog
- Draw and/or paint once a month
That’s it, they’re out there—a few of the things I hope to accomplish in 2018. If you see me out and about, ask me how things are going. I promise I’ll give you an honest answer.
One final thought—the buddy system works great. If you’re looking to accomplish things in the new year, tell me about them. Let’s help one other out by holding each other accountable. Hit me up on Twitter and let me know what goals/plans you have this year. Good luck, and happy new year!